Eosinophilic Esophagitis in Kansas City, MO
Ready to Consult a GI Physician?Find a Provider
What is eosinophilic esophagitis?
Eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE) is a condition of the esophagus characterized by inflammation. When a specific kind of white blood cell, called an eosinophil, builds up in the lining of the esophagus, the esophagus will swell. This often results in esophagitis. The accumulation of these eosinophils is typically a side effect of acid regurgitation or a reaction to food and allergens. EoE has been known to affect individuals of all ages. However, it is most often seen in younger, Caucasian males, who account for nearly 75% of occurrences. At Digestive Health Specialists, our gastroenterologists provide personalized care for this condition. If you or someone you love is diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis in Kansas City, MO, contact our practice to request a consultation.
What are some of the causes of EoE?
The number of people being diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis has been steadily increasing, linked to the uptick in allergies and asthma. Some of the more common causes of EoE include:
- Impaction and dysphagia (problems swallowing, or having food become lodged in the esophagus)
- Allergic reaction (to food, pollen, etc.)
- Damage to the esophagus (esophageal inflammation could result in scarring of the tissue and narrowing of the esophagus)
- Abdominal or chest pain
Some of the risk factors associated with being diagnosed with EoE are:
- Geographic location (individuals who live in dry, cold conditions have a greater likelihood of being diagnosed)
- Season (a person is more likely to be diagnosed with EoE in seasons with elevated levels of pollen and other allergens)
- Genetics (if someone in your family has EoE, you are more likely to be diagnosed)
- Males are more likely to suffer from EoE
- Allergies and asthma
What are the symptoms of eosinophilic esophagitis?
Symptoms of EoE present differently in adults than children. The most common symptoms with adults could include:
- Pain in the chest
- No response to acid reflux medication
- Persistent or occasional acid reflux
- Food getting stuck in their esophagus while eating
- Trouble swallowing (dysphagia)
- Pain in the upper stomach
The primary symptoms in children could include:
- Struggles with feedings (infants)
- Pain in the stomach or abdomen
- Trouble swallowing
- Impaction (food getting stuck in the esophagus)
- Struggles with eating (children)
- Failure to thrive, unexplained loss of weight, malnutrition
If you or a member of your family are experiencing any of these symptoms, or need over-the-counter medication for heartburn more than twice a week, reach out and request a consultation with a Digestive Health Specialists gastrointestinal provider as soon as possible.
What treatments are available for eosinophilic esophagitis?
Treatment for EoE through our Kansas City, MO practice primarily focuses on treating the symptoms of the condition. If you are suffering from symptoms as a result of food allergies, your provider will likely request that you refrain from consuming triggering foods. Patients are commonly directed to follow the six-food elimination diet (SFED), excluding shellfish, fish, soy, nuts, eggs, milk, and wheat from their diet for an indicated amount of time. Symptoms during this time are observed carefully, and certain foods are slowly added back into the diet to pinpoint which foods are responsible for the reaction. Specific medications could be prescribed, like topical steroids or a proton pump inhibitor. If symptoms persist, your provider could recommend esophageal dilation. Esophageal dilation is a treatment to help stretch your esophagus to lessen difficulty when swallowing. Your GI specialist will discuss all available treatment options with you and help you find the best one for you.
Get personalized care for eosinophilic esophagitis
If you or a loved one are diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis, personalized care is available from the skilled providers at Digestive Health Specialists. Our experienced gastroenterology providers employ a patient-centric approach to treat and manage conditions like EoE to improve your health. To connect with a provider who specializes in EoE treatments in Kansas City, MO, don't hesitate to reach out to our team and request a consultation today.
Considering the reason I was there lol. They are are great group of doctors. The staff is amazing, very organized, and attentive. The whole process is quick and easy.
Professional and helpful. Did not see doctor, saw nurse.
It was a wonderful experience meeting with Dr. Able and her staff. They were very friendly, attentive and took their time with me. I will recommend her if I come across anyone with similar issues. Five star appointment from beginning to end.
Dr Shireman is the kindest Dr, love him. He is very caring and interested in his patients.
Dr. Doran and his entire staff were courteous and made me feel comfortable and informed for the whole time I was there.