Hemorrhoids in Kansas City, MO
Ready to Consult a GI Physician?Find a Provider
What are hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids, sometimes referred to as piles, are inflamed veins near the lower anus or rectum. The condition commonly presents when the vein walls in the rectum or anus become so thin that the veins protrude or bulge. Hemorrhoids can present internally (within the rectum) or externally (on the anus).
Hemorrhoids are not uncommon. As a matter of fact, close to three-fourths of adults will deal with piles at some time(s). In some cases, a blood clot will develop within a hemorrhoid (referred to as a thrombosed hemorrhoid) and may cause pain or discomfort. The board-certified GI providers at Digestive Health Specialists are experts in helping patients with this common complication and other gastrointestinal conditions. To find care for hemorrhoids in Kansas City, MO, please reach out to our team as soon as possible.
What causes hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids may be attributed to many possible factors. Reasons a hemorrhoid might occur can include:
- Genetic history of hemorrhoids
- Straining during bowel movements
- Straining too hard to perform a physical activity (such as lifting weights)
- Standing or sitting for extended periods of time
- The natural aging process
- Chronic constipation
- Chronic diarrhea
What are the symptoms of hemorrhoids?
Symptoms of hemorrhoids can be varied depending on the location of the hemorrhoids, but frequently include:
- Pain during the passing of stool
- Itching around one's anus
- Bright red blood in one's stool
- Pain and/or swelling surrounding the anus
- Purple, pink, or blue raised lesions that protrude around the anus
- Discomfort near the anus while performing physical activities
What are the treatments for hemorrhoids?
Sometimes, smaller hemorrhoids can resolve on their own after a week or less. Your Digestive Health Specialists GI provider could prescribe medications or recommend at-home remedies to alleviate the bothersome symptoms of hemorrhoids. When larger hemorrhoids present, however, medical intervention is available in Kansas City, MO and might be needed to remove or treat the hemorrhoid. Typical hemorrhoid treatments include:
- A diet high in fiber
- Maintaining a clean anal region
- Avoiding the use of dry toilet paper
- Ice packs for reduction of anal swelling
- Applying topical ointment
- Draining a clotted hemorrhoid (thrombosis)
- Rubber band ligation
- Tub baths multiple times daily with warm water
- Treatment of constipation or the primary cause of the hemorrhoids
Timely treatment for hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids most often don't lead to serious health problems, but they can certainly be irritating and wreak havoc on your quality of life. If you are in need of treatment for hemorrhoids in Kansas City, MO, our specialists are happy to help. Please reach out to Digestive Health Specialists to schedule a consultation with a GI provider.
Entire staff was great. Couldn't have been any better, considering you go in nervous for a colonoscopy. The experience itself was good also and everyone cares about your concerns and comfort.
Very caring dr. She listens and not many drs do that now days. She truly cares about her patients.
Great experience….I think. Not sure though. I wasn’t awake. But all is well since then so it was great. All seriousness, good experience being my first procedure.
Dr. Eisenach is absolutely amazing! He answered all my questions and concerns, walked me through my different options of care, and explained everything to me very clearly. He made me feel VERY comfortable during my endoscopy surgery as his bedside manner is great! He visits with you before and after. 100% recommended to anybody that is looking for Gastrologist.
Efficient, professional, compassionate, informative. I highly recommend.